How to prepare your home for the holidays
Family and friends will soon be gathered around the dining room table enjoying one another’s company and creating lasting memories. Oh, how we long for this time of year and the festivities that follow! As family prepares to visit, from near and far, it’s time for you to prepare for their arrival—here’s some helpful and creative ideas to prepare your home for the holidays.
Create extra space
Use what you have
- Rather than purchasing new decorations to fill that void on your mantle or sideboard, utilize what you already have! Here’s some nifty ideas:If you have (empty or full) liquor or wine bottles laying around, decorate with them in your dining area. They are all truly unique and beautiful with their designs, textures, and colors. Arrange them on a decorative tray or display them on your furniture in front of a mirror to add depth.
- Utilize vintage pitchers, filled with leaves, greenery, or flowers to add height and to fill empty spaces.
- Have an array of glass vases you’re not sure what to do with? Fill them with water and float fresh cranberries on top, with a floating candle. Better yet, fill the neck of the vase with fresh evergreens to add more color and texture.
- Add fur throws or pillows from around the house to create warmth in the living space. Drape them across the couch or the ottoman, with an accompanying serving tray lined with candles.
Clean and sanitize
Ensure carpets are cleaned and freshly vacuumed, clean windows, scrub bathroom showers/tubs to remove any pesky mildew, disinfect your kitchen sink, remove dated food from the fridge and wipe shelves with a sanitizing wipe, ensure toilets are cleaned and a plunger is available, and sanitize/clean kitchen appliances and drawers.
Prepare high traffic areas
Guests deserve to feel a warm welcome, and you can accomplish this through simple touches in spaces they may visit often. Whether it be the guest room, powder room, or foyer—make them feel at home.
Organize & prepare:
- Add a fresh rug to the entryway for guests to wipe their feet upon arrival.
- Empty your coat closet of your jackets and items to make room for their shoes and outer gear. Be sure to add extra hangers.
- Make sure tissue and toilet paper are fully stocked in powder rooms and bathrooms.
- Place freshly washed guest towels and washcloths on a decorative stool or small table for easy access.
- Provide toiletries and essentials in a basket on display for guests who may have forgotten items.
- Clear out some closet space in your guest closet for guests who may want to hang their nice, holiday clothes.
- Provide snacks and bottled water in the kitchen area for guests to easily access. Place in a decorative basket.
- Add a small bench or stool to the entryway for guests to easily remove their shoes.
- Add small, bright flower arrangements to be placed on the vanity or bed stand.
- Arrange special soap and lotions on a tray for guests to use.
- Display and light festive, scented candles around the room.
- Provide a plush throw, in case your guests become cold in the night.
- Add nightlights. You don’t want your guests stumbling through your halls to the bathroom in the middle of the night. Instead, add motion activated or light sensitive nightlights.
Set the dining room table
There’s nothing better than having a freshly set table for your guests to arrive to! It’s festive, takes time off your to-do list, and creates a welcoming space. Bring out the fancy tableware, making things extra special for guests and add free, printable place cards. Add a splash of color with different and unique chairs around the table. Intermixing is totally allowed and makes for a unique space.
Preparing for guests and the busy holidays can be a daunting task, so, we hope this list makes it a bit easier for you! We believe in making your holidays AMAZING by adding fun and creative ideas that the whole family will enjoy! Don’t forget your friends at Amazing Spaces are happy to help you store any bulky furniture or items that aren’t conducive for the space you need for your guests! Give us a call today, 281-378-4343.