Moving During the Holidays
For all the joy that the holiday season brings it can also be one of the most stressful times of year. This is especially true if you’re planning a move during the holidays. While this may not be an ideal situation, it’s sometimes necessary under certain circumstances. The following useful moving tips are here to help you organize a holiday move to the best of your ability while still maintaining that holiday spirit and twinkle in your eyes.
- Plan ahead with holiday celebrations in mind. If you’ll be in a hotel over the holidays, look for a place that is planning a holiday celebration. Also, if you have kids, makes sure that they still get presents to open wherever you are and that you make the holiday as festive as possible.
- Pack some holiday spirit. Pick a few special holiday decorations to take with you. Stockings, for example, are easy to pack and can be a nice reminder of home.
- Make arrangements early on. Schedule moving dates, lodging, and self-storage for your belongings if necessary as soon as possible. This will assure that you get dates and places that work well for you.
- Ship your gifts. Shop online and have gifts delivered to your hotel, relative’s home or wherever you’ll be staying. Be sure to check with the hotel for their policy on holding your packages.
- Gift wrap, please! When you are shopping online be sure to select the gift wrap option. This will save you the trouble of trying to find scissors, tape and gift cards when all your things are on a moving truck.
- Keep your holiday traditions intact as much as possible. Whether it includes a religious celebration or reading a special holiday story, these traditions can help keep you grounded.
- Start a new holiday tradition. Dining out on Christmas Eve or going to see a holiday play can create a new tradition.
- If you have kids, plan for changing schools midyear. Be sure to keep all of their all their school and immunization records on hand, as you will need them soon after you arrive.
- Use email or video chat to keep in touch with loved ones over the holiday season. Help your children stay close to their old friends by setting up a special video chat for them.
- Keep a good attitude. Remember to keep the spirit of the holidays with you, no matter where you’re celebrating.
Good luck, happy moving, and -most of all- HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!