How to Move to Another City
Preparing to move to another city!
What an exciting adventure life is, especially when it takes you to a new city. Whether you’re moving for a job relocation, to be closer to a loved one or family, or simply desiring a fresh start and perspective—moving to a new city can be quite the task. We’ve compiled some simple, and easy tips to make your transition not only easy, but amazing!
Investigate your new city—Interested in moving to a new city, but, you aren’t sure what it’s like? The best thing you can do, (at least) 6 months before deciding on a location is to learn more about the city. There’s a few different ways to do this, here’s our top recommendations:
- Check-out the local news—Gain a better understanding of the environmental, political, educational and economical state of the city. If you’re moving without a job, be sure to also review the job market. All of this can be done from the comfort of your own, current home simply by doing a Google search.
- Contact a local police department to request a crime rate report for the city. This is especially helpful if you’re moving with a family or children.
- How are the taxes in the new city? Some cities have substantially higher tax rates than others, make sure it’s feasible for you and your family.
- Visit in-person—This will truly be the ultimate test to determine if the city is a good fit for you and if it’s truly the place you’d like to live. Instead of staying in a hotel in the touristy area, rent an Airbnb or stay with friends/family in the area. This will give you a truer perspective of life there. If there’s a certain neighborhood you’re interested in, spend some time there and get a feel for the community.
Financially prepare— It’s important to evaluate all of the costs associated with moving and how those will impact your financial future. Often times people don’t take this into account before-hand and end up in financial distress. Here’s some ways to best prepare and save yourself future grief:
- Determine the cost of living in the new city. Check out average rates on apartment rentals, grocery store prices, and how you will get around town (ie: public transportation or your own vehicle.)
- Recognize salary expectations in the new city. If you have not yet found a job, find out an average of what people within your industry are making there. Determine what you should/need to be asking for in terms of salary, when you interview.
- Create a spreadsheet outlining anticipated income and monthly expenses (existing and new). Run the numbers before moving and make sure this is something you can afford.
It’s recommended to have at least 6 months of living expense money saved before moving.
- Calculate the cost of the actual move. It can be expensive to move to another city, especially if it’s not local. Take into account your movers expense, packing supplies, vehicle transportation, etc.
- If you’re going to be moving during a busy season (typically spring and summer months) be sure to select your moving company early in order to secure your spot. Companies book months out and it’s better to get yourself on the schedule as soon as possible.
- Determine if you’re going to be purchasing a house right away or renting an apartment until you find the home you’re looking for. Often times it’s best to live in the city for a few months to best determine what areas you like/dislike. Many apartment complexes offer month-to-month leases.
- Figure out where you’ll store your things. If you’re not moving into a house right away, will you need a storage unit for your personal items during transition? If you’re moving to Texas, we can help with that! Whether you’re in search of temporary or long-term storage solutions, give us a call and find a location near you: 281-378-4343 or visit our website: net
Last, but not least, be sure to get connected in your new city. Find out if there’s a community of people who you can share life with, whether it be a church community, sports activities, festivals, or local events. The local Chamber of Commerce and other local directories can be a great resource for finding the best way to get connected. We hope these tips make your next move, simply amazing!