Staging Your Home to Sell
As tensions begin to ease a bit and states work hard to re-open, the real estate market is also seeing an uptick in homes being listed for sale. Perhaps you’re among the many homeowners who have held off on listing until now and you may also be wondering how you can get the most for your home. One of the best and most cost effective ways to do this is through staging your home to sell. Here’s our top tips on how to properly stage your home to make it stand out in a saturated real estate market.
- Minimize—One of the first steps to staging your home is to minimize what’s in it! That not only means trinkets and clutter on the counters but also unnecessary furniture that takes up space. Evaluate each room to determine what is essential and what’s extra. Then, place the extra items into storage. One of the challenges with this, is the potential buyer gets to see ALL of your home, so, where do you even put these items? We can help! We have storage solutions that accommodate all of your Personal Self Storage needs! With over 30 different sized units, you are sure to find a space that fits your needs and budget.
- Create proper room flow—This can be accomplished in a variety of ways with one of those being to simply rearrange the furniture. Pull furnishings away from the walls and create a conversation style setup in the center of the room. This will open up the room and create the illusion that it’s actually larger than it is. Additionally, by creating a cozy setup near the fireplace or a window with natural light, it is certainly more appealing to the potential buyer than a room full of stiff furniture against the walls. Creating inviting little spaces can also increase appeal. For instance, don’t feel locked into keeping all your furniture exactly where it is! If you have a small table, stage it as a desk in a bright corner of the room and top with a bouquet of flowers.
- Light it up—Proper lighting in your space can make all the difference! A good rule of thumb is to aim for a total of 100 watts per every 50 square feet. Different types of lighting is also important. Be sure to select the right type for the right room! Ambient, task and accent lighting are all essential in your different spaces. Check out this article on Lighting Tips from our friends at Lowe’s.
- Fresh paint—It’s amazing what a difference a fresh coat of paint on the walls can make! Shy away from abrasive colors and instead opt for warm, neutral hues. One of our favorite neutrals is Shaker Beige from Benjamin Moore. It reminds us of a cozy beach hide away, and who wouldn’t love that?!
- Staging accessories—Did you know that accessories are best when paired in odd numbers, preferably in groups of 3? Furthermore, group items of like color, shape and texture together! Your coffee table and mantle will invite the viewer in when items are positioned and staged correctly. Just be sure to only have only enough accessories to make a statement, but not overdo it. This goes back to our first point, you want to eliminate clutter!
- Sparkling clean—Before listing, you’ll want to make sure your spaces are sparkling clean! This means it’s more than just a simple surface dusting. Wipe down the baseboards, doors, and window sills. Can’t seem to get rid of those unwanted scuffs on the walls, there’s not much that the Clean Magic Eraser can’t tackle!
We hope that through reading this article you now see the impact that you can make, staging your home, without breaking the bank! We work closely with home owners who are going through the selling and buying process and we’d love to speak with you! Allow our A-Team to assist you in your next staging project, give us a call today, 281-378-4343!