How to Store Outdoor Furniture
Summer has come and gone and now you have all those wonderful memories to tuck away forever! There’s just a few other things you need to store away for the season as well… all that outdoor furniture! Do you uncover your furniture each spring and realize you probably should have done a better job preparing it for storage? If so, this article is for you! There’s plenty of ideas for storing your outdoor furniture, but, we’re here to share with you what we have found to be the proper storage techniques to keep your furniture in tip-top shape!
Step 1: Properly clean your furniture before storing it
Here’s your guide to treating all different types of furniture: *Always check your manufacturer’s cleaning directions before using any cleaning products.
Recommended cleaning solution: 1 cup bleach, 2 cups detergent, & 1 gallon of water.
- Fabric cushions-If the cushions are removable, take them off and wash them with the recommended cleaning solution to kill the mildew. Let them dry, stack loosely in a clean, dry space.
- Umbrella fabric– Wash with a brush and mild detergent. Let it dry in the open position and then store in a closed position.
- Metal- Wash all surfaces with water and detergent; scrub with a brush and rinse. If there are any rust spots, treat with a rust-neutralizing primer, smooth with steel wool and apply spray paint to match original finish. Protective car wax serves as a perfect finishing coat!
- Wicker-Brush all surfaces with the recommended cleaning solution to clean and remove mildew; rinse and let dry. Touch up any areas in need of a fresh coat of paint, apply moisture repellent on feet and legs, and store in a dry place. Apply paste wax to protect against moisture.
- Wood- Wash with the recommended cleaning solution and a mildly abrasive sponge. Rinse thoroughly and let dry. Sand and paint any areas where needed. Apply clear water repellent and a protective coat of paste wax.
Step 2: Store furniture in a clean, dry place
Most outdoor furniture will be perfectly preserved in a non-climate space. However, we do recommend covering the furniture with one of our chair or sofa covers to further protect the outdoor furniture. Remember, non-climate spaces are similar to storing items in a garage. Amazing Spaces non-climate spaces have painted and sealed floors to minimize exposure to dirt and dust, and are insulated to further protect your items.
Step 3: Stack your furniture and cover
To save space you can stack your furniture on top of each other and cover with either furniture covers or poly/vinyl tarps secured with straps or weighted down.
Preserving the life of your outdoor furniture takes time, but, it’s well worth it in the long run—think of it as adding value to your home! Store your furniture safely away for many more AMAZING memories next season!